Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Stitch Fix: My First Fix

Have you heard of Stitch Fix? When I first heard about it I thought it was a crazy concept. You fill out a crazy online profile survey, a stylist chooses five items for you, they mail them to you and you try them on. . .keep the things you like. . send back those that you don't. . .and your $20 style fee is applied to any item you decide to keep. Hmm. . . sounds interesting, but how cute could the clothes really be?  I started perusing some blogs of ladies who had joined Stitch Fix and was really impressed with some of the cute items they were receiving. Alrighty, nearly convinced. . .

While many of you know that I love shopping for clothes for my adorable kidlets and niece. . . I have nearly a nearly equal level of disdain for shopping for myself. Not only do my amazon arms make it difficult for me to find items that fit. . I HATE trying on things in dressing rooms. Add a crazy active (but so, so adorable) toddler to the shopping mix and I'm out. At the moment I have a ridiculous amount of clothing that I never wear hanging out in my closet. I've tried to go through it a few times, but always seem to get stuck in the "well I might wear that sometime" rut.

Let's be honest here, people . . I'm a thirty-something mom of two beautiful children. . . my wardrobe has adjusted over the past six years and it's time to oust the unfitables. I also have a large amount of items that don't have long enough arms due to shrinkage or improper buying decisions - I'm not sure if I'm expecting my arms to shrink inwards, but I find it unlikely (let's be honest - I'm not Inspector Gadget).

So, bottom line, I decided to take the leap. There is no obligation. I figured the worst thing that would happen is I'd be out $20 bucks if I liked nothing. I applied, waited a few days, and then received my invitation (there is a bit of a wait list, but it doesn't seem like the wait is long for most). I excitedly waited til the package arrived yesterday. . .and. . . . without further ado.

Look at the cute little package.  Wrapped up so pretty. . . was so excited to see what was inside.



My stylist, Catherine, had written me a note about the items in the box.  The paper also listed the cost of each item.  If you keep everything in your box you get a 25% discount.

The first two items are shown here.  The Ivy Square Print Tab Sleeve Blouse by Creative Concepts ($75).  This was not something I would normally have put on and I struggled to determine whether it was worth the price, but I really liked it for both work and non-work occassions.  I paired it with the skinny jeans in the box.  They are Sophia Skinny Jeans by Kensie ($88) and I love them.  SO soft and comfortable.  I need to lose a couple pounds before I'm convinced they look amazing. .but for now they are just short of amazing and I'm keeping them.  They fit my ridiculously long legs and I love the material.  Had to keep them.

Next up was the Doreen French Terry Blazer by Very J ($78).  Thiw was a "close but no cigar" item for me.  I loved the idea of it. . it was soft and comfy - but was slightly tight in the shoulers, and the internal lining turned the pretty spring color into more "Sante Fe" than "Yay It's Spring".  I've asked for them to include another blazer in the next box.  Hoping they come through.


Onwards to my "What in the world?!?" item.  This is the Benito Sleeveless Tie Front Denim Top by Costa Blanca ($68).  The card said it was a must have for every wardrobe and could be paired with a red pair of pants.  No thanks. . I don't have any hoe downs this year and I don't want to flashback to the 80s.  This item is going back.


Finally for the "holy cow, it definitely rained in Illinois and made me look like a drowned, pale, rat" picture.  This scarf is the Mini Anchor Print Scarf by Pretty Persuasions ($38).  I like the idea of liking scarves but I just don't love them. . . I also hate the idea of small object prints. . . so I gave the feedback that I wasn't interested in items with anchors, cats, birds, etc. from this point forward.  Just not my thing. 


Overall it was an awesome experience!  I got two new items for my wardrobe and already submitted a request for another Fix with some more specific requests.  I also changed my profile to remove interest in scarves . . and gave individual feedback on the items I liked and those I didn't.  The items I'm not keeping are going back in the prepaid shipping envelope today.  Easy peasy!


Want to join me in Stitch Fixing?  Here's a link:  http://stitchfix.com/sign_up?referrer_id=3081901

This post was not endorsed by Stitch Fix nor did I receive any compensation from Stitch Fix for this post.  I just love the idea and want to share my experience.  I hope to get some better pictures with my next Fix.  I've been told that the Stitch Fix gets better with each experience as they learn your likes and dislikes.  Really looking forward to it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: